Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Die Dreaming!


Morir Soñando literally translates to "die dreaming." That is the name of a very heavenly, tropical shake that is very famous in the Dominican Republic. Today my dad and I were in the mood for some delicious Morir Soñando. Papi is always the one that usually makes it at home. So as we prepared it together he started to tell me the story about how he came to love this delicious Caribbean beverage. Even though I've heard the story about a million times already, it's always fun to hear about his childhood. " I always used to love Morir Soñando, especially the way my mother used to make it. She used to squeeze fresh oranges, instead of using orange juice like most people do," he said. He told me how popular the drink is in the Dominican Republic, everyone has had it at some point in their lives. "When I was a kid I used to go to the juice bars in the town I lived in, in the Dominican Republic. And I always used to order Morir Soñando, one cup would be about 75 cents. But nowadays they probably sell them for like 3 dollars each," he said. We enjoyed our mouth-watering shake and cherished every sip. My apologizes for not posting any pictures, my camera has been really wacky these days. The image here I found on google image. And it usually comes out looking a lot whiter than in this photo, it depends on how much orange juice you put.

Check out papi's recipe for Morir Soñando!

Ingredients:
-1 can of Carnation-Evaportated fat free milk
-A little bit of water
-4-5 cubes of ice
-2 teaspoons of sugar (papi uses brown sugar)
-A cup of orange juice
- Pure Vanilla Extract

Directions:
-Take 1 can of Carnation-Evaporatated fat free milk and pour it in the blender
-Then pour a little bit of water to dilute the milk
-Then add about 4-5 cubes of sugar, the trick is to get the milk to get as cold as possible before adding the orange juice
-Then add about 2 teaspoons of sugar, my dad prefers to use brown sugar.
-Then start to mix it in the blender
- Pour a cup of orange juice and than mix more in the blender
-Then add 2-3 drops of pure vanilla extract, and blend a little more.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment