Wednesday, January 13, 2010

I love the food network!




Last night was an amazing night. I contribute to a magazine called QRO Magazine. And so I was sent to cover an exclusive performance by Norah Jones. And it was amazing, I can honestly say it changed my life forever. Just wanted to let everyone know how much I love her. My boyfriend and I even dedicated "Sunrise" to each other a few years ago.

But back to food and cooking. I didn't get a chance to post yesterday because my camera was acting up on me and I wanted to post the pictures along with the post. Yesterday I made a meal to die for! Like I mentioned before since abuela is gone, I am going to be cooking some of her recipes along with recipes on find while she away. I was watching the food network the other day and got this amazing recipe from Melissa d' Arabian. It's called sausage and roasted vegetable penne. It was really easy to make and it came out amazing.

When I woke up that morning mami told me that a good friend of hers was coming over for breakfast. Mami had come back from Dunkin Donuts with a bag full of bagels. It was only 11am but since I had some things to take care of in the afternoon I decided to start cooking in the morning. The meal turned out delicious and everyone enjoyed. With the exception of my younger sister who added some Ragu Spaghetti sauce on it. But for those who appreciate pasta with out sauce, I'm sure you'll love it. But if you don't, you may not want to try this one, because its not all that saucy. So check out d' Arabian's recipe below, but just warning you that I did change a few things!

Sausage and Roasted Vegetable Penne

Ingredients:
-2 red onion, cut into wedges
- 2 medium zucchinis, sliced into 1/2 lengthwise
-2 red bell pepper, cheeks removed
-1 lb button mushrooms, stemmed
-2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
-salt and freshly grounded pepper
-2 large tomatoes, chopped
-2 sweet or hot Italian sausage, thinly sliced or casings removed
-1/4 cup of white whine
-12 ounces whole-grain penne, cooked according to package instructions, 1/2 cup pasta water reserved
-Freshly grated Parmesan, for garnish

Directions

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

In a bowl, toss all the vegetables, except the tomatoes, with 1 1/2 tablespoons oil. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Arrange on a baking sheet and roast, until caramelized, about 30 minutes, turning vegetables halfway through the cooking time. In a small bowl, add the tomatoes and the remaining olive oil and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and add to the baking sheet, at the halfway point of cooking, caramelize.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, add the sausage and saute until cooked through. Turn up the heat and deglaze with white wine. Once the vegetables are cooked, cool slightly, then coarsely chop. Add the vegetables and any pan juices to the sausage in the skillet. Toss in the cooked penne, adding reserved pasta water, if needed, to moisten. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and serve in bowls topped with Parmesan.

No comments:

Post a Comment